Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Big Brother

My brother was awesome. He was nearly perfect from the day he was born till the night he passed at the age of 27. Growing up, I drove him crazy. I was 18 months younger. He was quiet and focused and I was talkative and scatter brained. I always felt like I understood him. I think he and I have many of the same qualities, abilities and characteristics. He was just so much better at putting them to good use.

My brain is mush right now so instead of trying to write something that flows well, I am just going to list some things I admire most about Skylar.

My dad always expected a lot of him and he came through above those expectations and never once complained.

Skylar was the hardest worker I have ever met. He didn't stop something he had started until it was finished and done exactly right.

He could do anything, build anything, fix anything.

He was always physically active and very fit. Laziness and doing things haphazardly were his pet peeves. I am going to use him as my inspiration...wish me luck.

He served a 2 year mission in Guatemala. I don't think he enjoyed very much of it but would have never chosen not to go, even in hindsight. His testimony was solidified, he learned to love all of Heavenly Father's children, and learned Spanish.

His persistence and determination were remarkable. He was not naturally the best athlete but worked harder than anyone on any team. He also tested and interviewed for 4 years before being hired on to the Tempe Fire Department. I can't imagine being turned down over and over for the same job and having the strength to keep trying.

He never let his size hold him back from anything. He was only 5'7" at best.

He never wavered in the Gospel.

In high school he would of rather spent everyday doing wild and crazy guy stuff with his buddies than be on one date with a girl. This made him far less annoying to me since he liked all of my friends.

When my parents moved to Utah and I was living on my own, he called regularly to check on me and make sure that my vehicle was being maintained.

He was willing to help anyone with anything.

He married a sweet girl in the temple and had 3 of the cutest kids you'll ever see. He was a very involved father, was patient and helpful around the house, and loved taking his family on outdoor adventures. He was so respectful to Kari always. He was the husband and father that girls dream of and hope to find.

I will never forget the phone conversation I had with Kari on that Tuesday morning when she told me my brother had been killed. It was the most devastating moment in my life. I have never felt such pain, heartache, sadness. I was so sad and concerned for Kari and the kids. I was so upset that I wasn't going to get to see Skylar again in this life. I was so sad that my parents had lost a son in the prime of his young life. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have with the Gospel and Plan of Salvation. Skylar was a good, strong and pure individual. We didn't have to worry or wonder for a second if he was in the right place in life when he was taken. I know I will see Skylar again and I know that he is doing something very important right now. I don't know how people with out the faith of eternal life could even motivate themselves to continue on after something like this happens. I am so lucky.


Some of the firefighters Skylar worked with as well as some Tempe police officers he knew came out to his house to put up Christmas lights and decorations for Kari and the kids. They were so excited. There have been countless acts of service offered, big and small. It has all been noted and appreciated more than anyone knows.

Skylar's Firefighting turnouts rode on his fire engine's front bumper from the church to the cemetery. They are now beautifully displayed in a life size wood and glass case that my uncle and cousins handmade.

Skylar's casket was a fire engine. He would have thought it was ridiculous and over the top, I'm sure. I thought it was awesome and his kids loved it. They called it Daddy's fire truck. It helped mellow the creepiness usually associated with the classic powder blue/grey caskets.


This was "The ringing of the last bell", a ceremonial tribute for firefighters. Skylar was granted a full ceremonial funeral, procession, and burial, despite not dying while on duty. This is extremely rare and further proves the quality of his character and impact he had on everyone he associated with. It was by far the most special and inspirational service I have ever been to.

This is Henry. He was the man who was with Skylar when he died. Skylar and Kari own a house in Mesa and Henry is their renter. He always wanted to learn how to hunt so Skylar was teaching him on this trip. He is a sweet man who will forever be a part of our family now. He saluted Skylar as the casket was being lowered.

I'm so glad we were able to get some family pictures taken when we were all together in July this year.

I will always have sadness but I will always have peace. My brother was the best. I love you Skylar and look forward to the day I get to see you again.

23 comments:

Eldredge Family said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony and thoughts about Skylar. The services where amazing and I was so thankful I got to attend and hear about his amazing life. His acts of service and dedication to serve the Lord. I am thankful for the Gospel and the peace it brings. I do not know how people go through this life without the knowledge of Eternal life and the plan of happiness. I know that their is no words that can take away the pain of the loss. I will just continue to pray and love you guys. Try to have a good Christmas. Love Crystal

The Varo's said...

what a sweet post lynds. i can't help but think back to monday when you were here at my house and we were talking about skylar, just hours before the accident. you said, "he was always obedient. he was the kid my parents never had to worry about." fitting words for a good man. how lucky we are to know about eternal families and to know if we do what we are supposed to, we'll all be together again. what a happy day that will be. the sadness is there and it will be there forever but i think the happiness that we have to look forward to brings us that peace. now that i have written a novel, i want you to know that i love you and will do what i can to help you.

Heather said...

That was an awesome post and a great tribute to skylar.thanks for sharing about skylar and all of the great memories you had with him. i am glad that i got to know more of what a wonderful man he was from you. i am thankful that you are a part of my life and appreciate you always. you and your family will always be in my prayers. love ya

brady lady said...

oh gosh lyndsay, i couldn't stop crying while i read this post, i feel sadness for your family, his wife and kids. oh how awful, but there is hope because of what we know, you all will see him again one day.

Amanda Griggs said...

I know that no words can help ease the pain that you all are feeling right now. The pain of death is horrible, and the loss of Skylar is tragic. I am so sorry for your families loss.

I know with all my heart that he was welcomed into heaven with open and arms ,and a celebration of one of His Valent Sons returning with honor.

We are praying for you and your family.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

That was a beautiful tribute to your brother. He was a wonderful, selfless man, and will be missed. I'm also greatful for the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. It is comforting to know that death is not the end and that you will be sealed to him and your parents (along with your family) for eternity. I am so lucky to be married into such a wonderful family and to have married into some wonderful cousins. I love the entire Stock family. Every one of you have always made me feel like part of the family.

Skylar's services were beautiful, and the most emotional services I have ever experienced. He left quite a legacy.

d.jo said...

Skylar's funeral was the most beautiful tribute I've seen given to anyone. It was amazing to see the entire choir loft and both sides of the chapel small pews filled with individuals in uniform. I loved the bag pipes, the casket, the music, the talks, the honor guard, all the pictures. It was an experience I will never forget, and I will always remember the anaolgy that Bro. Barnes gave when I think about your family and Skylar--I think that was truly inspired. While the funeral was about Skylar & the life he led, I think it was also a tribute to your family--you're all good to the core, just like he was. I'm hoping Kari & her kids are hanging in there right now & finding reason to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

Jake said...

Beautifully written. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Maria

Mariley Johnson said...

Love ya Lyndsay! Hang in there!

Chad and Ashlie said...

Thanks for putting up some info. He was a great guy and loved by so many. It was a really cool funeral service! Hang in there. Love ya!!!

Stock Family said...

Thank you for posting this Lyndsay. I am so grateful to be a part of your family. Love you.

Cadi said...

JD & I were talking tonight regretting we didn't ever go sit by him at a family party and get to know him. We obviously missed out. My life has been changed. Skylar's legacy has inspired me to be kinder, more grateful, more loving, to give better kisses and hugs, to enjoy the mundane in life...everyday is truly a gift. I love you so much and my kids pray everyday for Skylar and his family.

Jenna said...

I hope to have your strengh some day! You are awesome and I am so glad that I can get to know your awesome brother through this post. Thank you. I know that this experience was something to help your family become stronger and closer. We are so lucky to have this gospel and the knowledge of eternal life. Thanks again for sharing, love you!

{LyndsD} said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
{LyndsD} said...

Oh Lyndsay... your strength and insight is inspiring and one I admire greatly! I am so sorry for you and your family's loss and Kari and the children. My heart is just shattered at this news. When my sister called to give me the news I couldn't believe it. Skylar was an amazing guy. Kind, friendly, always with a smile, and willing to lend a hand if he could. He was great and I feel very privileged to have known him. He definitely touched and changed those around him. I am holding you all close in prayer and know that Skylar will forever be living through you all. Skylar loved you very much Lyndz. He was always talking about you and looking out for you in school. He's with you and very proud of you too. I just know it. Thank you for sharing your heart in this post. He is greatly missed and never ever forgotten!! ~Lyndsay (Stoelk)

a harper girl said...

Lyndsay, this was such a sweet tribute to your brother. I'm so sorry for yours and your families loss. Just want you to know we are and have been thinking about you guys. Hang in there...time will help heal.:)

Tyler and Kendyl said...

What an amazing tribute to Skylar. Thank you so much for sharing. I have had the upmost respect for your brother from day one. He treated Kari amazingly and they are true examples to me of how a marriage should be, and theirs will be eternal. What an honor to have a brother like Skylar. I am so grateful for him and for his example of dedication, hard work and spirituality. This may seem small but I always admired that Skylar would still show up to church bright and early Sunday mornings after a LONG shift the day before and after returning home only an hour before church started. He would run on such little sleep but knew that he wanted to be there. That is amazing to me and such an example of obedience.
I have to agree with you in that I truly believe that you and Skylar have a lot of the same qualities, abilities and characteristics. You are amazing.

the hill's house said...

Wow, well put. The services were probably one of the best I have ever been to. Seriously, it was amazing. Thanks for sharing. Love your family!

Kobie said...

What a sweet tribute! It was great to see you at the viewing and to chat for just a second. Also, I thought the funeral was one of the best that I have ever been to! It was sure wonderful. Glad we could be there!

Janet said...

Lyndsay,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts of a loving brother. He will be missed but always in your hearts. What a great legacy he has left! His family will always know what a wonderful man he was. No one could ask for more beautiful memory.

Tiffanyann said...

what beautiful words. i am so sorry for your loss. i am so thankful that we have the gospel. my prayers are with your family

Kari Whiting said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I have read about your brother and reading this post made me every emotional, it was so beatuiful. i thought a lot about him and his family on christams and kept them in my prayers. i can't even imagine how hard it would be and like you i'm grateful for the gospel to know we are eternal families. i will be keeping you in my prayers.

Hobie Brittany and the Boys said...

That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read.....I cried all the way through it. The gospel is so amazing! He truely was an incrediable guy. Love you guys!