Thursday, November 20, 2008

"No More Monkeys Jumping on the Bed"

Last night, Derek was trying to get Bostyn to go to sleep by laying with her on our bed. Apparently she had other plans and ended up falling and hitting her head on the night stand. Derek came rushing out holding Bostyn who had blood gushing out of her forehead. Derek, panic stricken and looking as pale as a ghost told me we should call 911. I reminded him that we were capable of driving her ourselves so we set off to the Emergency Room. We first tried to find an Urgent Care but apparently they all close at 8pm. Six hours later Bostyn had 3 stitches put in her small but very deep gash. We survived another adventure in parenting.


Patiently waiting in the waiting room.



This was after they put a topical numbing solution on the cut so she wouldn't be in as much pain while they put in the stitches.

Bostyn and Derek sneaking in some much needed rest while we waited for the medicine to set in.

This is a close up of the wound after they were able to clean it off.

They had to wrap her in a straight jacket type blanket and hold her down while they sewed her up. This was by far the worst part. After they wrapped her up they completely covered her face so that only the cut was showing. She was scared to death. Luckily kids are resilient!

After it was all over, it was 4am and she was finally able to sleep. She loved her teddy bear that one of the nurses gave her.

12 comments:

Tiffanyann said...

oh my gosh!! I am sorry that you guys had to go through that. We haven't had anything like that yet. i am sure that our days are to come soon enough. I hope you get some sleep over the next couple of days!!

Cadi said...

NO way! Oh my! That actually happened to me too when I was a toddler. I remember jumping on my Moms bed and falling and busting open my head on the corner of her nightstand also. The only thing I remember about the whole experience was 1) jumping on the bed
2) Hitting my head
3) Being wheeled on a gurny through the hospital. I don't remember the stitches or anything (must have been too traumatizing, i blocked it out! :) I am sure Bostyn will too.

When I was 26 though I had a cat scan done on my brain and I have an abnormality (scar) where I hit my head...crazy huh?! Maybe that explains why I am such a dork...actually maybe that explains why I am so crazy awesome.

Jenna said...

Wow poor little Bostyn. And poor you guys I can't imagine having to watch my child go through something like that! I'm glad it's over and she's all better.

brady lady said...

that looks pretty nasty, sorry you had to go through that how scary :(

Stock Family said...

Good grief! How aweful! I'm actually quite surprised we haven't had to do that yet with Slade. Knock on wood!! I'm glad she's all stitched up and doing good.

Mariley Johnson said...

oh man! Kids and the hospital really stink! Glad she's okay.

Brandon and Camille Smithson said...

oh poor Bostyn!!! I'm so glad that she is okay. I love the picture of her and Derek cuddling

The Hyde's said...

Oh poor Bostyn! She looks so tired in that last picture. You always feel so bad when they hurt themselves and you can't fix it for them right away. The worst for us was watching the doctors put Emma to sleep and then four of them tried to pull and push her bones back together in her arm. Luckily, that's been our only trip to the ER with the kids.

The Thatchers said...

that is way scary. im glad she is ok.

Cody, Marianne, and Preston :o) said...

Oh my goodness, poor girl! :( And poor parents! I can imagine Cody freaking out too and I can only hope I'd be as calm as you were :) What a cute and lucky little girl to have such good parents!

Aimee said...

super sad. we have done the whole wrapped up tight in a blanket for the purpose of stitchs/blood drawing now 3 times. it only gets better.... Ü bostyn is soooo cute!

The Varo's said...

poor baby girl! she is so sweet.